We've started a new weekly newsletter that we'll share hightlights of on our blog.
Ad.Product’s mission to create positive change in our industry — and make the most of what we already have — is the inspiration for this week’s theme: first-party data.
With third-party data dispersing and CCPA enforcement looming, publishers are looking for new ways to leverage their users’ data for improved ad experiences and revenue. We’ll explore the data trends and predictions we’ve seen and discussed this week.
What we’re reading
No Trusted Third-PartyWith third-party cookies crumbling, publishers are debating what will replace them. AdPushup offers some third-party cookie alternatives, Street Fight argues for earned data, AdMonsters suggests ways publishers can monetize personalized emails and notifications, and CafeMedia’s Paul Bannister shares his ‘Sell-Side’ speculations on first-party data’s future.
Explicit Permission SlipsAdvertisers and publishers must also grapple with pandemic-related safety concerns and new privacy laws. AdExchanger explains how GroupM is determining data sources. ExchangeWire suggests toxic data could pose greater threats than brand safety and ad fraud combined, and TechCrunch reports on Germany’s crackdown of non-functional cookies that tracked consumers using pre-ticked compliance notices.
Changing Habits and PerceptionsCurrent events are changing how younger consumers think about data privacy. According to a new survey by Privado, Millennial and Gen Z users are taking additional privacy precautions, with 55% of those surveyed citing ad removal as their primary motivation for using private search engines. On a more positive note, Adweek reports on how Generation C (ages 6-16) will continue to influence post-pandemic household behaviors and decisions — and require the ad industry to continue to respect their privacy under CCPA and other privacy laws.
What If We Just Shared the Data?Roku continues to build its streaming service — and its cache of consumer data. The OTT platform is partnering with Kroger to integrate its grocery consumer data with Roku’s nearly 40M households. Together, they hope to attract the CPG advertisers shifting budgets away from traditional TV.
What we’re writing
- We asked members and industry experts for GDPR’s impact to date: 2 Years In: 7 Industry Experts Weigh GDPR’s Impact
- Member and AdPushup Content Writer Rashmita Behera shares programmatic trends in our latest guest post: Programmatic Advertising Trends for 2020 and Beyond
- Member and Adzerk VP of Marketing Chris Shuptrine shares 3 years of header bidding tracking in an AdPushup post: Header Bidding Adoption: Three Years in Review
- Member Jodi Daniels is new to Ad.Product but not data privacy. See her thoughts in this week’s GDPR roundup. We’ll share more of her first-party perspectives next week.
- What is a first-party DMP for Publishers? We’ll explain next week.
What we’re discussing
- Member Claire Atkin offers more brand safety expertise: Check your ads
- Member Rob Beeler wants to be targeted: Hear his “Unpopular Opinions”
- Member Jodi Daniels offers 8 steps to CCPA compliance: Get ready
Sign up for our newsletters
Like what you've read here? Sign up for our newsletters and never miss an update.
You'll receive our weekly newsletter every Friday with community and industry news on a broad theme, plus a monthly newsletter with our latest articles.
What else are you reading or writing?
Click the link below to let us know and to share your ideas and suggestions for upcoming news updates.
Join the Ad.Product community
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and to be notified of member-exclusive events and opportunities.
Ad.Product is the first community for product managers, engineers, and others to discover and discuss how to build innovative, user-first ad platforms.